Mae Jemison is an American engineer, physician, and former NASA astronaut. She was the first African-American woman to travel into space when she went into orbit aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour on September 12, 1992. She is also the youngest person (at age 35) to have traveled to space.
Throughout her career, Mae has been a vocal advocate for science education and has spoken out about the importance of getting girls interested in science at a young age.
About Mae Jemison
Mae Jemison was born in Decatur, Alabama, in 1956. She excelled in science and math from an early age and went on to study chemical engineering at Stanford University. After graduation, she entered Stanford University at the age of 16 and obtained her Chemical Engineering & African-American study degrees.
In 1977, Jemison enrolled in Cornell University’s College of Medicine in Ithaca, New York, with the intention of becoming an international physician. She studied in Kenya as a volunteer for a summer during her medical school years.
In 1981, after completing medical school, she joined the Peace Corps’ West African service as a medical officer.
In 1983, she was selected to participate in the NASA Space Shuttle program. She made her first flight aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour in 1992, becoming the first African American woman to travel into space. After leaving NASA, Jemison founded The Mae Jemison Group, a technology consulting firm.
She also served as a Professor-in-Residence at Dartmouth College, where she taught courses in environmental studies and physics. Jemison is an inspiration to us all and a true trailblazer in the field of science and engineering.
Here are the best Mae Jemison Quotes
Jemison had said that she was inspired to become an astronaut by Star Trek: The Original Series, which featured the first African-American woman astronaut in its cast.
Let’s find out what other inspiring things she has said throughout her career.
1. “Greatness can be captured in one word: lifestyle. Life is God’s gift to you; style is what you make of it.”- Mae Jemison
Mae Jemison is an American engineer, physician, and former astronaut. She is a role model for anyone who wants to pursue their dreams, no matter how difficult they may seem.
In this quote, Mae encourages everyone to live their life to the fullest and make their own style. Life is a gift that should not be taken for granted. Everyone has the opportunity to make something great out of their life if they just put in the effort. Mae’s quote is a reminder that we should all strive to live our best lives and be proud of who we are.
2. “You have the right to be involved. You have something important to contribute, and you have to take the risk to contribute it.”- Mae Jemison
3. “You can hear other people’s wisdom, but you’ve got to re-evaluate the world for yourself.”- Mae Jemison
In this quote, Mae Jemison is emphasizing the importance of listening to others and considering their opinions but also stresses that it’s important to think for oneself and come to one’s own conclusions.
It’s easy to get caught up in what others think, especially when it comes to such a big topic as the world.
However, Mae Jemison reminds us that it’s essential to take the time to filter everything through our own lens and form our own opinions. Only then can we truly say that we understand the world around us.
4. “As an astronaut, you have a very defined set of tasks to do. Those tasks may require you to work 60, 70, or 80 hours a week.”- Mae Jemison
5. “There are individuals who can support you, but frequently, you have to risk putting yourself out there – and sometimes you just have to push.”- Mae Jemison
Jemison’s quote encourages individuals to take risks and put themselves out there in order to achieve their goals. She highlights the importance of support systems but also emphasizes that ultimately it is up to the individual to take action.
This sentiment is particularly relevant in the field of space exploration, where Mae Jemison made history. By taking risks and pushing herself, Mae Jemison was able to achieve her dream of becoming an astronaut and inspiring others to reach for the stars.
6. “Don’t let anyone rob you of your imagination, your creativity, or your curiosity.”- Mae Jemison
7. “Folks need something aspirational; they need to do something that is hard. That’s what ignites the imagination.”- Mae Jemison
In this quote, Mae is speaking about the importance of having something to strive for, something that is hard to achieve. She believes that this is what ignites people’s imagination and motivates them to reach their full potential.
Mae herself is a perfect example of this principle in action. Despite facing considerable obstacles, she never gave up on her dream of becoming an astronaut. Mae’s story is an inspiration to us all, proving that anything is possible if you are willing to work hard for it.
8. “Science provides an understanding of a universal experience. Arts provide a universal understanding of a personal experience.”- Mae Jemison
9. “The really wonderful thing that happened to me when I was in space was this feeling of belonging to the entire universe.”- Mae Jemison
This quote speaks to the sense of awe and wonder that Mae Jemison felt when she saw the Earth from space. For Mae Jemison, being in space was a transformative experience that helped her to feel a sense of connection to all of humanity and the natural world.
This quote reminds us that, despite our differences, we are all part of a larger whole.
10. “I like to think of ideas as potential energy. They’re really wonderful, but nothing will happen until we risk putting them into action.”- Mae Jemison
11. “What we find is that if you have a goal that is very, very far out, and you approach it in little steps, you start to get there faster. Your mind opens up to the possibilities.”- Mae Jemison
Mae Jemison Quotes states that if you have a goal and you take little steps towards it, you will achieve it faster than if you try to achieve it all at once. This is because your mind opens up to the possibilities of what you can achieve if you break your goal down into manageable steps.
Mae Jemison Quotes is a great motivator for anyone who feels like they can’t reach their goals. By taking small steps, we can achieve anything we set our minds to.
12. “Some people say they feel very small when they think about space. I felt more expansive, very connected to the universe.”- Mae Jemison
13. “The arts and sciences are avatars of human creativity.”- Mae Jemison
14. “Pay attention to the world around you and then find the places where you think you’re skilled. Follow your bliss — and bliss doesn’t mean it’s easy!”- Mae Jemison
The quote suggests that you should “follow your bliss” and that this doesn’t mean it will be easy. However, if you pay attention to the world around you and identify where your skills lie, you can achieve anything you set your mind to.
Mae Jemison is living proof of this, and her quote is a great motivator for anyone who needs a little push to pursue their passions.
15. “My parents were comfortable with me exploring areas that they were not proficient in. Some parents just aren’t comfortable with that.”- Mae Jemison
16. “It’s your place in the world; it’s your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live.”- Mae Jemison
Mae is an advocate for science and technology education, and her quote encourages everyone to pursue their dreams. Mae emphasizes that your life is yours to live, so make it the best life possible.
Don’t let anyone or anything hold you back. Mae’s quote is empowering and inspiring, and it reminds us that we can all achieve great things if we set our minds to it.
17. “Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination.”- Mae Jemison
18. “I think one of the things that we have to think about it is, we are all a part of this universe.”- Mae Jemison
This quote speaks to the interconnectedness of all things. Mae believes that we are all connected to the same universe and that we are all responsible for taking care of it.
This is a powerful message, especially in today’s world, where we often feel disconnected from nature and from each other. Mae’s words remind us that we are all connected and that we must work together to protect our planet.
19. “The drills we do, where you’re telling kids to memorize things, don’t actually work. What works is engaging them and letting them do things and discover things.”- Mae Jemison
20. “In some ways, I could have been seen as further ahead if I had taken an easier path, but every now and then I stop and think I probably wouldn’t have been happy.”- Mae Jemison
21. “Failure to recognize possibilities is the most dangerous and common mistake one can make.”- Mae Jemison
In this quote, Mae is saying that the most dangerous mistake a person can make is to fail to recognize possibilities. This is so important because if we don’t recognize possibilities, we miss out on opportunities.
We may never even realize what we’re capable of achieving. Mae Jemison is an excellent example of someone who recognized her own potential and went on to achieve great things. By recognizing the possibilities in her life, she was able to change the course of history.
22. “The thing that I have done throughout my life is to do the best job that I can and to be me.”- Mae Jemison
23. “The future never just happened. It was created.”- Mae Jemison
24. “In space, you need to exercise your heart since it’s not pumping blood around at the same rate.”- Mae Jemison
25. “I want to make sure we use all our talent, not just 25 percent.”- Mae Jemison
In the quote above, Mae is urging us to recognize and use our talents to their fullest potential. Too often, we allow our fears and doubts to hold us back from pursuing our dreams.
Mae Jemison is proof that we can achieve great things if we set our minds to it. With hard work and determination, anyone can reach their goals – no matter how out of this world they may seem. So let’s all strive to use our talents to their fullest extent, just like Mae Jemison did. After all, the sky’s the limit!
26. “I’ve gotten this advice at different times, and it distills down to one word: purpose. Why are you here?”- Mae Jemison
27. “Sometimes people have already decided who you are without your story shining through.”- Mae Jemison
In this quote, she touches on the idea that people often make assumptions about others without knowing their whole story. This is something that she has undoubtedly experienced herself, being judged based on her race and gender.
However, she has persevered and gone on to achieve great things. This quote serves as a reminder that we should always try to see the full story before making judgments about others.
28. “The level of confidence women are able to build in women-only groups is important.”- Mae Jemison
Mae Jemison is talking about the importance of women being able to build confidence in women-only groups. She believes that it is essential for women to have a space where they can feel comfortable discussing their successes and challenges without feeling judged or outnumbered.
Mae Jemison’s quote speaks to the power of sisterhood and the importance of supporting other women. When women are able to lift each other up, there is no limit to what we can achieve.
Let’s Wind Up…
After her career as an astronaut, Jemison worked extensively with science education and youth development programs. She has been awarded numerous honors, including honorary doctorates from over 25 colleges and universities.
In this blog post, we’ve shared some of our favorite quotes from Mae Jemison – a brilliant mind whose words are worth pondering. We hope you enjoyed them! If you have any suggestions for other inspiring quotes or interesting facts about Mae Jemison, let us know in the comments below.