In the novel, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, author Mitch Albom tells the story of Eddie, a man who dies and goes to heaven. There, he meets five people who help him understand the meaning of his life.
This moving novel is full of powerful quotes that will make you think about the choices you’ve made in your own life. In this article, we will explore some of the best quotes from the book and discuss what they mean for us as individuals.
About The Five People You Meet in Heaven
The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a novel by Mitch Albom that was published in 2003. It tells the story of Eddie, an elderly man who dies and goes to heaven. In heaven, he encounters five individuals who assist him in understanding the significance of his existence.
The book was very successful, selling over five million copies worldwide. It has been translated into over forty languages and was made into a television movie in 2004.
Here are The Top The Five People You Meet in Heaven Quotes
The quotes below are some of the most memorable and meaningful from the book. They will make you think about the choices you’ve made in your own life and the impact that those choices have on others.
1. “One withers, another grows.”
This quote speaks to the idea that life is a cycle of growth and decay. As one person dies, another is born. As one relationship ends, another begins. Life is constantly changing, and each change brings new opportunities for growth.
The quote reminds us that even though the loss is inevitable, it is also the source of new life. Every end is a new beginning.
2. “Things that happen before you are born still affect you and people who come before your time affect you as well.”
3. “The only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.”
This quote speaks to the human need for connection. We all yearn for relationships that will give our lives purpose and meaning. When we feel alone, it is wasted time because we are not living to our fullest potential.
The Five People You Meet in Heaven reminds us that we are never really alone and that even in death, we are connected to those who have loved us throughout our lives.
4. “Death doesn’t just take someone, it misses someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed.”
5. “Silence was his escape, but silence is rarely a refuge.”
6. “You see this face, these wrinkles? I earned every one of them”
The main character, Eddie, dies and meets five people who have impacted his life in different ways. One of these people is The Captain, who tells Eddie that “wrinkles are earned.” The Captain goes on to say that every line on his face is the result of a life well-lived.
He has laughed, he has cried, and he has loved deeply. The Captain’s wrinkles are a reminder of the good times and the bad times, but they are also a badge of honor. They represent all that he has been through and all that he has accomplished.
The next time you look in the mirror, don’t be discouraged by your wrinkles. Remember that they are proof of a life well-lived.
7. “It’s not about how you die, Eddie. It’s about how you live.”
This quote speaks to the idea that our lives are not defined by our death, but by how we choose to live. The people we meet, the relationships we make, and the way we treat others all contribute to the legacy we leave behind.
This quote reminds us that it is never too late to start living our best life. We may not be able to control how we die, but we can control how we live.
8. “Sacrifice is a part of life. It’s supposed to be. It’s not something to regret. It’s something to aspire to.”
9. “You don’t understand a person until you consider things from his point of view… Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
The quote means that you can’t truly understand someone until you see the world through their eyes. This is an important message because it encourages empathy and understanding.
Too often, we make assumptions about others without taking the time to see things from their perspective. This quote reminds us that we should always try to see things from another person’s point of view, in order to better understand them.
10. “There are no random acts…We are all connected…You can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind…”
11.“Lost love is still love.”
12. “There are no random acts… We are all connected. You could not be here without me.”
This quote highlights how everything that happens to us is connected to something else. We may not always see the connections, but they exist nonetheless.
The events of our lives may seem random, but they are actually part of a larger design. The people we meet and the things that happen to us are all connected, and each experience shapes who we are and who we will become.
13. “Each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.”
14. “And that is what heaven is for, for understanding your life on Earth.”
15. “Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you’re not really losing it. You’re just passing it on to someone else.”
These words from The Five People You Meet in Heaven ring so true – sometimes when we sacrifice something precious, we’re not losing it at all. We’re simply passing it on to someone else who needs it more. It might be our time, our energy, our love, or our possessions.
Whatever it is, when we give selflessly of ourselves, we always end up gaining more than we ever could have imagined. The joy that comes from making someone else’s life better is priceless.
So the next time you’re feeling a little down about sacrificing something important to you, remember that you’re not really losing anything – you’re just making the world a better place.
16. “It’s the thinking that gets you killed.”
17. “Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.”
The point here is, that even though forgiveness does not change what has happened in the past, it can help you move on from it and have a better future.
This is because forgiveness allows you to release all the anger and resentment you have been holding onto, which can weigh you down and prevent you from living your best life.
It is also worth noting that forgiveness is not just something you do for other people – it is also something you do for yourself. When you forgive someone, you are giving yourself the freedom to move on and live a happier life.
18. “All endings are also beginnings. We just don’t know it at the time.”
19. “Heaven can be found in the most unlikely corners.”
In the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it can be easy to forget that there is beauty all around us. We often fail to notice the small details that make up our world, instead of fixating on the negative aspects of our lives.
However, as the saying goes, “heaven can be found in the most unlikely corners.” If we take the time to look, we will find that there is beauty and wonder in even the most mundane places.
The smile of a stranger, the sound of rain on the roof, or even a ray of sunshine through the clouds – these are all moments of heaven that can be found in our everyday lives.
20. “…the human spirit knows, deep down that all lives intersect.”
21. “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.”
Too often, people pursue happiness as if it is the only thing that matters. They chase after material possessions, seek out relationships, and strive for success, all in the name of happiness.
But what they often fail to realize is that happiness is not a destination. It is not something that you can acquire and then hold on to forever. Instead, happiness is a state of mind.
It is an attitude that you adopt towards life. And it is something that you can choose for yourself, regardless of your circumstances. So instead of chasing after happiness, why not focus on being useful?
Do something that makes a difference in the world. Be honorable and compassionate. And most importantly, live your life with purpose. Then, and only then, will you find true happiness.
22. “The running boy is inside every man, no matter how old he gets.”
It’s true, the running boy is inside every man. No matter how old he gets or how slow he becomes, the running boy is always there, waiting to burst out. Just look at any group of men and you’ll see him there, lurking in the background.
He’s the one who is always ready to ditch his friends and family for a chance to go chasing after something new. And when he finally catches it, he doesn’t know what to do with it.
The running boy is always on the lookout for the next big adventure, regardless of the cost. But even though he may never stop running, deep down he knows that he’ll never be able to escape himself.
Let’s Wind Up…
We hope you liked reading the quotes, let us know which was your favorite. Each of these 22 quotes is a little nugget of wisdom that will help you reflect on your own life and what’s important to you.
The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a beautiful story with an important message – one that we can all learn from. Thanks for following along!