“Prayer makes the soul tender.”― Leonard Ravenhill
Leonard Ravenhill was a British Christian evangelist and author who is known for his passionate preaching. He has written many books, including Why Revival Tarries and Sodom Had No Bible.
About Leonard Ravenhill
Few men have had such a profound impact on the Christian faith as Leonard Ravenhill. Born in England in 1907, Ravenhill was raised in a Christian home and had a heart for God from a young age. As a teenager, he felt called to preach and began to share the Gospel wherever he went.
His passion for souls and his powerful preaching quickly made him one of the most popular evangelists of his day. Over the course of his ministry, Ravenhill preached to millions of people around the world, leading many to Christ.
He was also a prolific writer, penning numerous books on the Christian life. Even after his death in 1994, Ravenhill’s legacy continues to inspire and challenge believers everywhere. Truly, he was one of the great men of God of our time.
Here are the best Leonard Ravenhill Quotes
Ravenhill was not afraid to speak the truth, even when it was unpopular, and he regularly challenged the church to examine its motives and its commitment to Christ. His preaching was often gritty and uncompromising, but it was also deeply convicting and inspirational.
People who heard him preach often said that they were changed forever by his words. Though he is no longer with us, Ravenhill’s legacy continues to challenge and inspire Christians around the world. Let us quickly examine some of his most famous quotes.
1. “Are the things you are living for worth Christ dying for?”― Leonard Ravenhill
It’s a question that challenges us to examine our lives and motivations and to consider whether we are truly living for the things that matter most. For Christians, the answer should be an emphatic “yes!” Christ died for our sins, and he did it out of love.
Therefore, our lives should be focused on honoring him and obeying his commands. When we do this, we show that we believe that Christ’s death was indeed worth it.
We also show the world that we are different from them because our lives are not centered on ourselves but on Christ. When people see this, it has the potential to radically change their lives as well.
2. “A man may study because his brain is hungry for knowledge, even Bible knowledge. But he prays because his soul is hungry for God.”― Leonard Ravenhill
3. “He who fears God fears no man.”― Leonard Ravenhill
In a world that is filled with violence, hatred, and fear, it is easy to feel like we are constantly under attack. We worry about what other people think of us, and we try to protect ourselves from their judgment.
However, this quote from Leonard Ravenhill reminds us that there is no need to fear other people. Instead, we should focus on living in a way that pleases God. When we put our trust in Him, we will find that He is the only One who truly matters.
His opinion is the only one that counts. And His love is the only thing that can protect us from the darkness of this world. So let us not be afraid. Instead, let us turn to God and ask for His guidance and strength. For He who fears God need fear no man.
4. “There are three persons living in each of us: the one we think we are, the one other people think we are, and the one God knows we are.”― Leonard Ravenhill
5. “You can’t live wrong and pray right.”― Leonard Ravenhill
In today’s society, it’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking that as long as we pray, we will be forgiven for our wrongdoings. However, as Leonard Ravenhill so wisely points out, this is simply not the case.
You cannot live a life of immoral behavior and expect your prayers to be heard. If you want your prayers to be answered, you need to first live a life that is worthy of those answers. Only then will you be able to receive the guidance and protection you so desperately seek.
6. “The secret of praying is praying in secret.”― Leonard Ravenhill
7. “The Church right now has more fashion than passion, is more pathetic than prophetic, is more superficial than supernatural.”― Leonard Ravenhill
8. “The opportunity of a lifetime needs to be seized during the lifetime of the opportunity.”― Leonard Ravenhill
This quote from Leonard Ravenhill is a powerful reminder that we must act quickly when presented with a chance to achieve our dreams. Too often, we let opportunities slip by because we are hesitant or unwilling to take risks.
But as Ravenhill reminds us, these opportunities may never come again. So if we want to achieve our goals, we need to seize them while we can. This doesn’t mean that we should rashly take every opportunity that comes our way.
But it does mean that we should be open to new possibilities and willing to take advantage of them when they present themselves. Only by taking risks can we hope to achieve our full potential.
9. “Preacher, keep your knees on the ground & your eyes on the throne.”― Leonard Ravenhill
10. “If we displease God, does it matter whom we please? If we please Him, does it matter whom we displease?”― Leonard Ravenhill
11. “A vision without a task makes a visionary; a task without a vision is drudgery; a vision with a task makes a missionary.”― Leonard Ravenhill
This quote is often used to motivate people to pursue their dreams and goals. But what does it really mean? A visionary is someone who has an idea or plan but no concrete way to achieve it. A task, on the other hand, is something that needs to be done but lacks direction.
A missionary, according to Ravenhill, is someone who has both a vision and a task. In other words, they know what they want to achieve and have a plan for how to achieve it. So if you’re feeling stuck in your current situation, ask yourself: do you have a vision?
And if so, what is your task? Once you have the answer to these two questions, you’ll be well on your way to achieving your goals.
12. “If we had more sleepless nights in prayer, there would be fewer souls to have a sleepless eternal night in hell.”― Leonard Ravenhill
13. “if we will do God’s work in God’s way at God’s time with God’s power, we shall have God’s blessing”― Leonard Ravenhill
14. “Entertainment is the devil’s substitute for joy. The more joy you have in the Lord, the less entertainment you need.”― Leonard Ravenhill
In a world that is ever-changing and filled with distractions, it is easy to lose sight of what truly matters. We become so caught up in the pursuit of happiness that we forget to find joy in simple things. Life is not meant to be lived in a state of constant entertainment.
Instead, we should strive to find joy every day. Leonard Ravenhill’s quotes offer a powerful reminder that true happiness comes from within. When we focus on our relationship with God, we are able to find lasting peace and contentment.
15. “The greatest miracle that God can do today is to take an unholy man out of an unholy world and make him holy, then put him back into that unholy world and keep him holy in it.”
― Leonard Ravenhill
16. “The apostles had no gold, but lots of glory. We have lots of gold, but no glory.”― Leonard Ravenhill
When it comes to wealth and glory, which is more important? This was a question posed by Leonard Ravenhill, and it’s one that still resonates today. On the one hand, we live in a world where material possessions are highly valued.
We’re constantly bombarded with messages telling us that we need to buy this or that in order to be happy. As a result, it’s easy to get caught up in the pursuit of money and things. But as Ravenhill pointed out, the apostles had no gold but lots of glories.
In other words, they had something more valuable than mere possessions. They had a purpose and a mission that outweighed any temporal rewards. So what does this mean for us?
It means that we should focus on what’s truly important in life. Yes, money can buy us some happiness, but it can’t buy us meaning or fulfillment. That’s something that can only come from within.
So next time you’re tempted to chase after the latest must-have item, remember Ravenhill’s words and ask yourself what you really want out of life.
17. “Some Day Someone is going to pick up this book (The Bible) and believe it, and put us all to shame.”― Leonard Ravenhill
18. “A man who is intimate with God is not intimidated by man.”― Leonard Ravenhill
Intimacy with God is the key to a life free from fear and intimidation. When we are close to God, we are not afraid of what others might think or say about us. We know that our worth comes from Him, not from other people’s opinions.
We also know that He is always with us, no matter what challenges we face in life. As the great evangelist, Leonard Ravenhill once said, “A man who is intimate with God is not intimidated by man.”
When we have intimacy with God, we can face anything and everyone with confidence.
19. “Entertainment is the devil’s substitute for joy. ”― Leonard Ravenhill
Let’s Wind Up…
English Christian evangelist and author Leonard Ravenhill is known for his passionate preaching. He once said, “For this sin-hungry age, we need a prayer-hungry Church.” If that’s not a call to action, I don’t know what is.
These 19 quotes from Leonard Ravenhill will help you find peace in the midst of your busy life and remind you of what’s truly important. May they inspire and encourage you as much as they have encouraged us. Thanks for reading!