Georgia O’Keeffe was an American modernist painter who is considered one of the most significant artists of the 20th century. She is best known for her paintings of enlarged flowers and landscapes of New Mexico.
O’Keeffe was also a prolific writer, and she left behind a large body of work that includes her thoughts on art, feminism, and sexuality. In this article, we will take a look at some of her best quotes on creativity, feminism, and art.
About Georgia O’Keeffe
The American modernist artist Georgia Totto O’Keeffe was born on November 15, 1887, in a farmhouse near Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. O’Keeffe’s parents were dairy farmers of Irish and Scottish descent. The second of seven children, she was interested in art from an early age.
In 1905, O’Keeffe began her studies at the Art Institute of Chicago and then later moved to New York to attend the Art Students League.
O’Keeffe married the photographer and art dealer Alfred Stieglitz in 1924. After Stieglitz’s death in 1946, O’Keeffe lived primarily in New Mexico, where she painted many of her famous flower paintings.
Here are the Best Georgia O Keeffe Quotes
O’Keeffe died on March six, 1986, at the age of ninety-eight. After her death, the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum was established in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Let us look at some of her famous quotes:
1. “Nobody sees a flower – really – it is so small it takes time – we haven’t time – and to see takes time like to have a friend takes time.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
Georgia O’Keeffe was an American artist who is best known for her paintings of flowers. In this quote, she speaks about how we often do not take the time to truly appreciate the beauty of nature.
Flowers are often small and delicate, and we may not even notice them as we go about our busy lives. However, if we take the time to stop and look more closely, we can see that each flower is unique and special in its own way.
The different colors, shapes, and sizes of flowers provide us with a never-ending source of beauty. O’Keeffe’s paintings remind us to take the time to appreciate the simple things in life, like a flower.
2. “I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing that I wanted to do.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
3. “I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way… things I had no words for.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
4. “Where I was born and where and how I have lived is unimportant. It is what I have done with where I have been that should be of interest.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
5. “I have things in my head that are not like what anyone taught me — shapes and ideas so near to me, so natural to my way of being and thinking.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
Rather than trying to copy the work of others, she sought to create something entirely new – something that came from her own unique perspective. As a result, her work is characterized by bold simplicity and vivid colors.
Though she was sometimes criticized for her unconventional style, O’Keeffe remains one of the most respected and influential artists of the 20th century. Her quote reminds us that the most important thing is to stay true to our own vision – even if it doesn’t conform to what everyone else is doing.
6. “Anyone with any degree of mental toughness ought to be able to exist without the things they like most for a few months at least.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
7. “If you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it’s your world for a moment.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
8. “I found I could say things with colour and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way- things I had no words for.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
9. “It’s not enough to be nice in life. You’ve got to have nerve.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
This quote speaks to her belief that a creative life requires boldness and courage. In order to create something truly original, you must be willing to take risks.
O’Keeffe took many risks throughout her career, and as a result, she produced some of the most iconic images in American art history. Her willingness to experiment and push boundaries allowed her to create a unique body of work that has timeless appeal.
For anyone seeking to live a creative life, Georgia O’Keeffe’s quote is an excellent reminder that boldness is essential.
10. “To create one’s world in any of the arts takes courage.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
11. “I feel there is something unexplored about woman that only a woman can explore.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
12. “I do not like the idea of happiness — it is too momentary.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
13. “The morning is the best time, there are no people around. My pleasant disposition likes the world with nobody in it.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
There’s something special about the morning when the world is just waking up and there’s a sense of possibility in the air. Everything is new again, and anything seems possible. It’s a time of fresh starts and new beginnings.
Georgia O’Keeffe captured that feeling beautifully in her quote about the morning. For her, the best time of day was when there were no people around, and she could enjoy the quiet beauty of the world.
In the morning, everything is bathed in soft light, and there’s a serene quality to the world that can be hard to find at other times of the day. It’s no wonder that so many people are drawn to the morning hours. There’s just something about that time of day that feels special.
14. “I’m getting to like you so tremendously that it sometimes scares me.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
15. “Come quickly. You mustn’t miss the dawn. It will never be just like this again.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
16. “I’m frightened all the time. But I never let it stop me. Never!”― Georgia O’Keeffe
Throughout her career, O’Keeffe faced many challenges, both personal and professional. Yet she always persisted, refusing to be discouraged or deterred. In fact, it was her fearlessness that helped to make her one of the most iconic artists of her generation.
“I’m frightened all the time,” O’Keeffe once said. “But I never let it stop me. Never!” This quote captures the spirit of O’Keeffe’s life and work: she was a woman who was unafraid to take risks and follow her heart.
Thanks to her courageous example, we are all inspired to create our own masterpieces.
17. “I don’t see why we ever think of what others think of what we do—isn’t it enough just to express yourself.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
18. “As one chooses between the country and the human being, the country becomes much more wonderful.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
19. “Nothing is less real than realism. Details are confusing. It is only by selection, by elimination, by emphasis, that we get at the real meaning of things.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
Georgia O’Keeffe’s words ring true in so many ways. It is the details that often cloud our vision and prevent us from seeing the bigger picture. It is only by sifting through the noise and focusing on what is important that we are able to get at the heart of things.
This is as true in our personal lives as it is in our creative endeavours. When we are able to step back and see the forest for the trees, so to speak, we are better able to find our own voice and create something truly original.
O’Keeffe’s words serve as a reminder to us all to strive for simplicity in our lives and art. With this mindset, we can create something beautiful and timeless.
20. “Someone else’s vision will never be as good as you own vision of yourself. Live and die with it, because in the end, that’s all you have. Lose it and lose yourself and everything else.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
21. “I have already settled it for myself so flattery and criticism go down the same drain and I am quite free.”― Georgia O’Keeffe
Throughout her career, she faced criticism from both the public and the art world. However, she did not let this negative feedback impact her work or her self-confidence.
Instead, she continued to create bold and beautiful paintings that reflected her unique vision. In doing so, she proved that it is possible to maintain your creativity and individuality in the face of adversity.
While O’Keeffe may have faced challenges during her career, she ultimately triumphed by staying true to herself.
Let’s Wind Up…
Georgia O’Keeffe was an American modernist painter who is considered one of the most important artists of the 20th century. As a woman in a male-dominated field, she blazed trails and shattered barriers with her unique perspective and approach to art.
Her paintings are renowned for their abstracted forms and intimate close-ups of natural objects, often flowers. O’Keeffe once said, “I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way – things I had no words for.”
These 21 quotes reflect her wisdom on everything from creativity to love to nature. We hope you enjoyed these life-changing quotes as much as we did! If you