Before I Fall is a novel written by Lauren Oliver. It was published in 2010 and tells the story of Samantha Kingston, a high school student who dies in a car crash and then relives the last day of her life over and over again.
The novel has been praised for its powerful messages about love, loss, and redemption. In this article, we will explore some of the most famous quotes from Before I Fall.
About Before I Fall
The book Before I Fall is told from the point of view of a young woman named Samantha Kingston, who must relive her own death for a week every day.
During this book, Samantha attempts new things every day in order to figure out why it affects her the way it does. Some of these actions are out of character and surprise her relatives and friends.
The book is the inspiration for the film of the same name, which was released on March 3, 2017.
About Lauren Oliver
Lauren Oliver is a young adult novelist from the United States best known for Panic; the Delirium trilogy: Delirium, Pandemonium, and Requiem; and Before I Fall. She was born Laura Suzanne Schechter on November 8, 1982.
Lauren Oliver is a New York Times bestselling author of young adult novels.
She has also written several books for middle-grade readers, including the Curiosity House series.
Oliver was born in Westchester County, New York, and currently lives in Brooklyn, New York.
Here are the famous Before I Fall Quotes
The movie is full of great quotes that will make you think about your life. Here are some of the most famous ones!
1. “It amazes me how easy it is for things to change, how easy it is to start off down the same road you always take and wind up somewhere new.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
Maybe it’s because we’re always moving, always changing, that we don’t notice how much we change until something forces us to take a different path.
Or maybe it’s because change is just a part of life, and we’re so used to it that we don’t even realize it’s happening.
Whatever the reason, it’s fascinating to think about how much can change in a person’s life in a short period of time. It’s even more amazing to think about how those changes can ripple out and affect the people around us.
So next time you find yourself on a new path, take a moment to appreciate the journey and the changes that got you there.
2. “I feel like a curtain has dropped away, and i’m seeing people for who they really are, different, and sharp, and unknowable.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
3. “They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that’s not how it happened for me.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
4. “How is it possible, I think, to change so much and not be able to change anything at all?”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
It’s been said that the only constant in life is changes. And yet, as we go through changes big and small, it can often feel like we’re stuck in the same place.
We may change our jobs, our homes, our relationships, but somehow we end up right back where we started. So how is it possible to change so much and not be able to change anything at all?
One theory is that we are creatures of habit. We get comfortable in our routines and find security in the familiar. Even when we want to make a change, our habits can hold us back. Another possibility is that we’re afraid of change.
We may worry that a new job will be too challenging or that a new relationship won’t work out. Change can be scary, but it can also be exciting. It offers us the chance to grow and learn new things about ourselves.
Whatever the reason, it’s important to remember that change is always possible. We may not be able to control everything in our lives, but we can control how we react to the changes that come our way.
With a little effort, we can break out of our comfort zones and find new ways
5. “I was going to tell you that you look beautiful with your hair down. That’s all I was going to say.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
6. “Maybe all of these different possibilities exist at the same time, like each moment we live has a thousand other moments layered underneath it that look different.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
7. “If you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
8. “It’s funny, isn’t it? When you are young, you just want to be old, and then later you wish you could go back to being a kid.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
Life is full of irony. Just when you think you have everything figured out, the universe has a way of throwing you for a loop. For instance, when you are young, all you can think about is growing up.
You can’t wait to be old enough to drive, to vote, and to drink legally. But then, before you know it, you’re an adult with responsibilities and bills and never enough hours in the day.
Suddenly, those carefree days of childhood seem like a distant memory. And though you would never trade your current life for anything, you can’t help but look back on those simpler times with a touch of nostalgia.
Life is funny that way. It has a way of making us long for what we once had – even as we are busy creating new memories that we will one day treasure.
9. “You should only fall in love with people who will fall in love with you back.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
10. “If you draw a circle, there will always be an inside and an outside, and unless you’re a total nut job, it’s pretty easy to see which is which. It just happens.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
11. “So many things become beautiful when you really look.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
The world is full of beauty, but it is often hidden behind the everyday hustle and bustle. We rush through our days, barely taking time to notice the small details that make life so special.
It is easy to forget that everything around us has a story to tell. But if we take a moment to really look, we can see the hidden beauty in even the most mundane objects.
For example, consider a simple stone. It may seem like nothing more than a piece of rock, but if you take a closer look, you will see that each one is unique. Each stone has its own color, shape, and texture.
Some stones are smooth, while others are jagged. No two stones are exactly alike. When you really look at a stone, you can appreciate its unique beauty.
The same can be said for everything in the world around us. The next time you are feeling rushed or stressed, take a moment to really look at your surroundings.
You may be surprised at how much beauty you have been missing.
12. “Sometimes I’m afraid to go to sleep because of what I’m leaving behind.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
13. “like I am Alice in the Wonderland and have gotten too big for the room.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
14. “That’s the way I feel, at least: like there’s a real me and a reflection of me, and I have no way of telling which is which.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
15. “Nobody ever said life was fair.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
It’s true; nobody ever said that life was fair. But that doesn’t mean we should just accept the cards we’re dealt and give up. Life may not be fair, but it’s still beautiful.
There’s so much to see and do, and we shouldn’t waste our time wallowing in misery because things aren’t going our way. Instead, we should pick ourselves up and keep moving forward.
Sure, life may not be fair, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth living. So let’s make the most of it, shall we?
16. “The whole point of growing up is learning to stay on the laughing side.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
17. “I vowed after that day that I would be your hero too, no matter how long it took”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
18. “This is what happens when you try to help people. You get screwed.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
I used to be such a naive and idealistic person, always thinking that I could make a difference in the world. I would volunteer for charities, donate to good causes, and help out my friends and family whenever they needed it.
But then I started to notice that no matter how much I tried to help people, it never seemed to make a difference. In fact, oftentimes, it would just end up backfiring on me. And now I’ve come to the realization that “this is what happens when you try to help people. You get screwed.”
It’s not that I don’t believe in helping others anymore, but I’ve learned that you have to be careful about who you help and how you help them.
There are a lot of people out there who will take advantage of your kindness, and if you’re not careful, you can end up getting hurt or taken advantage of yourself.
So now I only help people who I know will appreciate it and who I know I can trust. And even then, I still make sure to keep my expectations low so that I’m never disappointed or let down.
19. “That’s the thing about best friends. That’s what they do. They keep you from spinning off the edge.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
20. “Some things are better left buried and forgotten.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
It is human nature to want to forget the bad times and only remember the good. We often bury our hurts and try to move on with our lives. However, there are some things that are better left buried and forgotten.
By forgetting the hurt, we also forget the lesson. We may make the same mistake again because we did not learn from it the first time. It is important to remember the hurt so that we can learn from it and do better next time.
Sometimes, the hurt is so great that we cannot forget it no matter how hard we try. In these cases, it is important to talk to someone who can help us process these feelings and memories. Only then can we begin to heal and move on.
21. “Things change after you die, though, I guess because dying is the loneliest thing you can do.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
22. “Here’s another thing to remember: hope keeps you alive. Even when you’re dead, it’s the only thing that keeps you alive.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
23. “A good friend keeps your secrets for you. A best friend helps you keep your own secrets.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
Friendship is a special bond that not everyone is lucky enough to experience. It’s a relationship built on trust, respect, and mutual support. A good friend is someone you can rely on to keep your secrets safe.
They’re the ones you can confide in when you need to let off some steam or just need someone to lend a listening ear. But a best friend is even more special. They not only keep your secrets for you, but they also help you keep your own secrets.
They know when to push you and when to let things go. They know how to handle delicate situations and how to make you laugh when you’re feeling down. A best friend is someone who makes your life richer and fuller just by being in it.
So if you’re lucky enough to have a best friend, cherish them and never take them for granted.
24. “Hope keeps you alive.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
25. “It strikes me how strange people are. You can see them every day, you can think you know them, and then you found out you hardly know them at all.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
26. “It’s funny how you can know your friends so well, but you still end up playing the same games with them.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
You know what they’re going to say before they say it, and you can predict their next move. But, for some reason, you still enjoy playing with them. Maybe it’s because you know that, no matter how well you know each other, there’s always the potential for a surprise.
Or maybe it’s just because it’s comfortable and familiar. Whatever the reason, it’s clear that there is something special about the bond between friends.
They may not always be able to articulate it, but there is an undeniable connection that allows them to understand each other in a way that nobody else can. And, in many ways, that is what makes friendship so special.
27. “Popularity’s a weird thing. You can’t really define it, and it’s not cool to talk about, but you know it when you see it. Like a lazy eye, or porn.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
28. “At a certain point your brain stops to rationalize things. At a certain point it gives up, shuts off, shuts down.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
29. “I used to think that’s what love was: knowing someone so well he was like a part of you.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
I used to think that love was all about finding someone who you could share everything with, knowing them so well that they became a part of you. But I’ve realized that love is so much more than that.
It’s about finding someone who makes you feel complete, someone who you can be yourself around, and someone who brings out the best in you. It’s about laughter and happiness, but also about tears and pain.
It’s about fighting for what you have, even when it seems like everything is against you. And most importantly, it’s about never giving up, even when the going gets tough. Because true love is worth fighting for.
30. “Maybe before you die, it’s your ghosts you see.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
31. “The last laugh, the last cup of coffee, the last sunset, the last time you jump through a sprinkler, or eat an ice-cream cone, or stick your tongue out to catch a snowflake. You just don’t know.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
We all take life for granted. We wake up each day, not knowing if it will be our last. We go through the motions, not really living.
But what would happen if we stopped and really paid attention? If we savored each moment like it was our last?
The last laugh with a friend. The last cup of coffee on a chilly morning. The first sunny day after a long winter. Suddenly, life would be so much more precious. We would be more grateful for the good moments and learn to cherish them.
Life is too short to waste a single moment. Let’s make each one count.
32. “Gravity is not responsible for falling in love.”― Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
Let’s Wind Up…
Before I Fall is a great book with so many wonderful quotes. It’s easy to feel connected to the characters and their experiences. The quotes provide valuable life lessons that we can all learn from. Thanks for reading!
We hope you enjoyed these before I fall quotes. Which one was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below! And don’t forget to share this post with your friends. until next time, happy reading!